- Setup of ‘doodleworld-writers-room’ on Doodles discord (free)
- Budget for hiring an experienced producer (contract) to lead development of 2 to 3 storyboards. This is for content direction validation with audiences and the doodles community (stacks)
- Budget for production of storyboard visuals including freelancer writers, sketch artists, talent required to bring storyboard pitch to life. (stacks)
Update: a wildly hypothetical roadmap for the animation project. In comic sans, so that you can see how serious this is.
First off: A huge thank you to all doodlers who have shared your feedback and support for the various animation proposals put forth as well as the discussions on discord:
Doodles Youtube Animation Series @Clout
Doodles Animation Extension @Koro
& my initial proposal Doodles animated short experiment on Doodles YouTube channel (vision: a show on Netflix)
The community has spoken and it would like to see things happen.
How do we proceed?
While there’s a strong temptation to make this a massive collaborative project with the whole community involved in developing the content together, democratically making decisions, the odds of such an approach succeeding are dismal for content production.
Therefore, a producer is necessary and community members with experience should be nominated to take on more responsibility + have a greater creative say over the process.
I’d like to propose an idea and community participation funnel using the existing discord and this forum, led by experienced doodlers and a producer to be hired.
- Discord #doodler-writers-room : All verified doodlers may contribute to the discussion of characters , lore and storylines. During this process, I imagine that a few doodlers will stand out with their experience and creative clarity. Let’s call them the ‘skelly crew’ because they are rare and ironically good at fleshing things out.
After the producer is hired, his/her/their participation and guidance in this thread would be expected.
The Skelly crew will also be responsible for recruiting/identifying writing / content / talent present in the community and recognizing idea gems put forth by community members.
Success means vibing, having fun as a community and imagining Doodleworld together.
- Strong/ popular ideas from the discord channel will be filtered into forum.doodles.app in a new section underneath final proposals called ‘Doodleworld scratchpad.’ The threaded format, the ability to add topics and that the forum already exists, makes it ideal for help us stay well-organized.
Example of: topics = ‘Significance of rainbow puke’ or ‘Main cast of characters’ or ‘Sample doodley tropes’ of 'Character voice samples"
The Skelly crew will assist the community and producer to filter out and post content to Doodlesworld and share these threads as links back to the discord writers room > pinned messages.
- Replies to threads in Doodlebank > Doodledworld by non-skelly crew writers would be discouraged so as to allow replies to be used for organizing additional comments and production notes. They will be directed to the discord writers room instead.
- The producer leads the development of the pitching storyboard and organizes everything with a professional/freelancer writer, vid editor and sketch artist. The producer is responsible for the hiring of any other contract talent or staff required to bring the 2-3 pitching storyboards to completion within the budget allocated.
While the skelly crew represents the community to weigh into creative decisions, but the producer will make the final calls for each storyboard, including the intended audience its supposed to entertain. At this stage, the cost of failure is low as we’re coming up with storyboards. The pitching storyboards will not be seen by all until it’s ready though WIP hints maybe shown to engage the community.
@Poopie has previous shared what this process can yield:
Pitching Storyboards for Animation - Jim Mortensen pitches a HOME Act 1 - YouTube
What happens after storyboard production > storyboard validation
Led by the producer: validation with test audiences via focus group or industry practice. An additional stacks budget may be required for this.
Led by the skelly crew: validation with doodler community AND non-doodlers in discord. This could involved using polling bots with help from the moderators.
A potential avenue for feedback could be the doodles youtube channel , after the community round on discord has concluded.
- Views, comments from the public could be valuable indicators of what works. This is worth pursuing assuming the storyboards are onbrand and have good vibes. We could consider this approach a replacement to test audience validation in #1.
- pros: potentially viral, wide audience on YT, inclusive participation by the greater public, free compared to focus groups/test audiences
- cons: WIP content exposed to the public could be mistaken as final products by some, noise, rif raff/fud.
- Discussion on v2 preliminary proposal (this) and refinement (days)
- After founders weigh-in, they will setup in discord #doodleworld writers room: hilarity and creativity ensues.
- Final proposal & snapshot.
- Hiring of producer, introduction of producer to the community and writers room. Doodles LLC will be responsible for the hiring of the producer. The community may offer suggestions and contacts.
- Concurrently, bubbling up of nominations for the initial skelly crew.
- Setup of Doodleworld section on Doodlebank forum.
- Timebox: 3 weeks from hiring of producer to allow community participation development of ideas.
- Timebox: 5 to 6 weeks from hiring of producer to completion of 1st pitch storyboard.
- Timebox: 8 weeks from hiring of producer to completion of initial set of 3 storyboards.
- Presentation to Doodler and non-doodler community on discord for voting.
- Optional: Listing of storyboard videos on YouTube channel. Twitter shares, twitter spaces etc.
- Outcome: 10 weeks from hiring of producer to completion of this storyboard validation.
- Preparation for next proposal on YouTube short series production or pilot for studio /network /netflix pitch follows in the next phase.
This timeline is subject to change due to holidays, professional input and all your feedback.
I can’t wait to see what’s in store for all of us!
Disclamer: I’m neither a writer nor a producer, I just have … ideas.